Moving Picture Expert Group-4 (MP4 or MPEG-4 Part 14) is a multimedia container format. It can hold compressed or reduced audio and visual digital data. The format is used for Web and voice streaming, high-definition television applications, and CD distribution. The filename extension for Mpeg-4 Part 14 files is .mp4; hence, the name MP4.
MP4 files can store different multimedia streams into a single file. The format is especially compatible with videos in mpeg format. It can also store still images and subtitles.
The specification for the file format was first released in 1998. It was composed of standard audio and video coding formats. The standard is listed under ISO/IEC 14496, granted by the ISO/IEC Moving Picture Experts Group.
A number of programs can encode or convert files into the MP4 format. These files are easy to transfer online because they only take up a small amount of space. The format is also used to store and view videos in a number of portable media devices.
Uses Of MP4
There are a lot of ways to enjoy the functions of MP4. They are as follows:
1. Developers can benefit from MP4 by:
- creating objects with better features, such as animation graphics, digital television, and World Wide Web enhancements; and
- control content better, in order to efficiently fight against copyright violations.
2. For network providers and entrepreneurs, MP4 can be a great marketing tool in generating huge sales by:
- providing a presentation of various services and goods offered by the company through its website;
- advertising the company’s presentation for potential customers; and
- using MP4 for data transparency by transforming and interpreting these data into different signals well-suited with any existing network.
3. For residential users, MP4 can be a fantastic tool to:
- create your very own streaming media in the MP4 format;
- enjoy different kinds of movie shorts, whether professional or amateur;
- enjoy a variety of animated videos;
- save various streams, whether audio, video, or animation, into your hard drive; and
- share a copy of these streams with others through email or file-sharing.