Windows Media Audio or as it is also referred to WMA is an audio data compression technology created by Microsoft. The name may also be used to refer to its audio file format or its audio codecs. It is a proprietary technology that makes up part of the Windows Media framework. WMA is comprised of four distinct codecs. The original WMA codec, which is known simply as WMA, was formulated as a competitor to the popular MP3 and RealAudio codecs. WMA Pro, which is a newer and more advanced codec, supports multichannel and high resolution audio. A lossless codec, WMA Lossless, compresses audio data without loss of audio quality. As well as WMA Voice, which targets voice content, utilizes compression using a range of low bit rates.
MPEG-4 or MP4 file format, or as it is formally known ISO/IEC 14496-14:2003, is a multimedia container format standard specified as a part of MPEG-4. It is generally used to store digital video and digital audio streams, most notably for those defined by MPEG. It can also be used to store other data such as subtitles and still images. Like most modern container formats, MPEG-4 enables video streaming via the Internet.
Since MP4 is compatible with many types of players, conversion from WMA may have to be carried out. To do this you will need to get the corresponding conversion software. You can locate an appropriate program by using the internet to research those that are compatible with your operating system. The process is very straightforward and should not present any major difficulties.
Things you will need
- A WMA file format
- Conversion software for this example is Format Factory.
- First download a program that is able to perform this kind of conversion in this case Format Factory, as previously mentioned, visit many sites to find one that is appropriate for your operating system if you wish to use another program.
- Once you have downloaded the conversion program open the downloaded file to initialize installation by double clicking on the file icon. The downloading process should be relatively quick and free of problems, refer to any instructions or read me documents that came with the software if you encounter any problems.
- Once the program has been completely installed it may open automatically if not click on the [Video] tab in the main program screen. It is perhaps wise to note that though you will be doing a simple audio conversion a MP4 can also be used for video formats. However, it will still play the audio WMA file once converted despite the lack of a corresponding video format.
- Click on [All to MP4] option. A new window will be shown. Choose [Add File] and then search for the WMA file you wish to use in the browse window.
- Double-click on the file once you’ve located it, and click on the [OK] button in the Add File window. You will be once again redirected to the main screen, where the conversion will be highlighted.
- Click on the [Start] button at the top of the screen to start the conversion process. The blue status bar will display the progress of conversion and will indicate “Completed” when the task has been fully executed.