FLAC files can be converted to MP3 files with the use of many different programs. FLAC files are loss-free audio codecs, and are open source files used most often by rock fans who use digital sound recorded to record live concerts as audio files. Legal FLAC files can be found across the web for fans to download and use. FLAC offers only a decent level of sound quality due the fact that it is a loss-free file format. A significant problem with FLAC files is their size; they are very large and therefore many applications do not support them. However, MP3 files are widely supported by most, if not all, media players, because they are so much smaller than FLAC files, thus allowing more music to be stored on a computer or MP3 player.
What you will need
- iTunes (Real Player, Windows Media Player or Yahoo Music Player are also suitable)
- Make sure WinAMP is installed on your computer with the FLAC library support plug in.
- Check to ensure that iTunes or any other media player is installed on your computer also.
- Locate the output section and choose it. This will be on the plug in screen.
- Navigate to the null soft dick writer and select it. Click the ‘confirm’ button at the bottom of the screen.
- Go to the directory and decide where to save the file. Make sure that it has a .wav extension.
- Save the files you have created to the folder that you have chosen.
- Close the present window and then return to the WinAMP program.
- From there, navigate to the folder in which you saved the music.
- Select all the files in the folder; press the shift key to do this. Once done choose the option to ‘open.’
- Press play and WinAMP will go through and decode all the FLAC files, converting them into WAV files.
- Change WinAMP back to output so that it will play the files instead of decoding them again.
- Go to iTunes and import the WAV files from WinAmp.
- Once imported, iTunes will convert them to iTunes files.
- Since there are different types of applications that convert FLAC files to MP3 files, select one that will give good sound quality. If that is unimportant to you, then choosing any program will be suitable.